CSU Police Department safety reminder
March 8, 2010
The Colorado State University Police Department would like to remind students to keep safety in mind while driving, biking, skateboarding or walking to class.
Obey laws and share the road
Colorado State University is a highly populated campus with more than 30,000 students, faculty and staff. With such a large population, there is unavoidably a large amount of traffic and parking congestion. As such, the CSU Police Department encourages the use of efficient “green” methods of transportation such as walking, bicycling or skateboarding.
In doing so, we must all take responsibility for keeping campus safe. It is essential that each person obeys the laws while riding a bicycle or driving a vehicle on campus. In order for the campus community to share the road safely, the CSUPD has put together a list of the following reminders:
- Pedestrians have the right-of-way on all sidewalks and crosswalks
- Pedestrians should make themselves visible to motorists, bicyclists and skateboarders and extra caution at intersections
- Pedestrians should walk on the right side of a pathway/sidewalk
- Bicyclists are required to obey the same applicable traffic regulations as the driver of an automobile
- Bicyclists and skateboarders must dismount in designated dismount zones on the weekdays during the hours of 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., unless otherwise posted. In addition, bicyclists and skateboarders will dismount in any location where it is impractical to ride due to heavy pedestrian traffic
- Riders must give an audible signal when passing on the left to alert a pedestrian of an approaching bicycle or skateboard
- Bicyclists are to ride on the right side of a roadway/pathway with the flow of traffic
- Bicyclists must use lights and reflectors when riding at night
- No bicycle nor skateboard tricks are allowed on campus
Motor vehicle safety
- Motor vehicles must always give the right-of-way to pedestrians
- All motor vehicles must obey campus speed limits of 20 mph on roadways and 10mph in all parking lots; speed limits are enforced
- When passing a bicyclist on the left, motor vehicles should leave a minimum distance of three feet between the bicyclist and the vehicle
- Driving a motor vehicle on sidewalks, pathways or service drives is prohibited except by turf carts or service vehicles on official University business
- All vehicles must park in the designated lots for the issued permit and/or pay-by-space parking spaces
For detailed information on rules and regulations, please visit the CSU Police Department website. The safety of pedestrians, bicyclists, skateboarders, and drivers is extremely important to the university.
Please abide by the laws and ordinances. We want you to have a great experience while continuing your education at Colorado State University.
Contact: Joy Childress
Phone: (970) 491-7695